ARRIVAL/DISMISSAL PROCEDURES & TRAFFIC SAFETY
- Students may only ride the bus assigned to them. If an emergency occurs, and you need a temporary change, you must write a letter requesting the change, stating a reason to the building principal.
- Play dates: NO STUDENT WILL BE PERMITTED TO CHANGE BUSES FOR A PLAY DATE.
- Changes. If your child normally takes the bus and for some reason you need to pick them up at school, a letter must be written to the classroom teacher notifying them of the change. This letter will be forwarded to the main office and the bus company will be notified.
BUS PROCEDURES for ARRIVAL
- Academy Bus Company is our transportation vendor.
- Be on time at your designated bus stop. This begins at home by carefully planning your time so you can leave home at the same time every day. You should plan to get to your bus stop with five minutes to spare. If you need to walk to the bus stop and there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic so you can see and be seen. Once you arrive at your bus stop, wait safely back from the curb. No student is to approach the bus unit it comes to a complete stop and the bus driver indicates it is safe to board.
- Parental supervision is imperative at the bus stops. It is not a time for your children to play or fool around waiting for the bus. At the bus stop remind your child to use the handrail to board, place their seat belts on once they arrive at their seat, and enjoy the short ride to school
- ALL ABOARD! When the driver indicates it is safe to board the bus, children should walk and enter the bus in a single file. Students enter holding the handrail as they board. They are to go directly to their seats and place their seat belts on for the trip to Cottle. All books, bags, bundles, etc. should be placed under their seats and never in the aisles.
- Practice good manners. While the bus is in transit, students must sit quietly in their seats, talking softly with their neighbor. Their arms and legs must remain out of the aisles. No student is to place their hands or head out of the window. Please discuss the danger of this with your children. There will be no eating or drinking permitted on the bus.
- When students arrive at Cottle: All students are to remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop and the driver tells them it’s safe to unbuckle their seat belts. The students are to exit the bus walking in a single line utilizing the handrail as they exit.
- Supervision upon arrival: Once the bus arrives at Cottle they will be met by our teaching aides. Students will proceed to the line up spots that are marked on the street. When the weather is inclement we will have the students report to the following areas: K-1 (Auditorium), 2-3 (Cafeteria), 4-5 (Gym). Teaching aides will be stationed throughout the building to ensure a safe orderly entrance by all students.
BUS PROCEDURES for DISMISSAL
- All students will be walked to their designated bus locations by their classroom teacher. Our teaching aides will supervise the students as they walk and board the buses for the trip home. Students are to adhere to the same procedures listed above for their bus trip home.
Parents must be on time to meet the children when they arrive at their designated bus stop. The bus company has been directed not to leave a child at a stop without a supervising adult to greet them. The children will be brought back to Cottle where we will contact you to pick them up at school. This is to ensure their safety and protection.
Siwanoy Blvd., in front of WEC, is now the property of TUFSD. Given this new development, combined with the ongoing reports of concern for safety and traffic flow surrounding WEC during dismissal over the last few years, we have created new dismissal procedure. Important to note that there have been no changes to the arrival procedures. Below please find some notes about Siwanoy Blvd. as well as an outline of the new dismissal procedures. Please note, these changes have been researched and created in collaboration with Central Office Administration, the Board of Education, WEC PPLT, WEC Administration, WEC Teachers, WEC Staff, Eastchester Police Department, and ALTARIS, our Safety and Security Consulting Firm.
Notes about Siwanoy Blvd.:
- Siwanoy Blvd., in front of WEC, will be CLOSED to any and all through traffic 24 hours/7 days per week.
- Siwanoy Blvd., in front of WEC, will be accessible ONLY for DISMISSAL procedures with traffic flow ONE WAY from Crawford towards Ridge St.
There will now be FIVE Primary Dismissal Options:
- Students may take a bus home from school on any given day of the week (Loop 1 or Loop 2). Busses will still use the bus circle during dismissal.
- Please be sure to refer to the documentation that was previously sent to you from the TUFSD Business Office that outlines your child’s bus stop schedule for drop off times/locations.
- You may register your child to attend the TASC After School Program on any given day of the week. You must be registered for the program. NOTE: All TASC registration, program dates and related matters should be dealt with through TASC directly.
- SELF-DISMISSAL, GRADES 3-5 ONLY
- Students in Grades 3-5 ONLY are permitted to dismiss on their own through the upper doors across from Ridge St.
- It is our plan to continue to have a crossing guard during dismissal.
- WALK-UP/PICK-UP, GRADES K-2 ONLY
- Students in Grades K-2 ONLY may be dismissed to a parent/guardian at the auditorium doors.
- You must have both your Pick Up Tag and Name Plate to pick up K-2 students at the auditorium doors. If you do not have both tags, you must go to the security desk and sign your child out.
- WALK-UP/PICK-UP, GRADES K-2 ONLY
- CAR PICK UP (NEW PROCEDURE!)
- Students may dismiss to a car in the pick up line on Siwanoy Blvd.
- Cars can enter the pick up line at the bottom from either direction on Crawford Street to two lines on Siwanoy Blvd. that will merge to one curb side pick up line.
- At 2:40 p.m. every school day the barriers will open at the bottom of Siwanoy Blvd. for cars to line up in one of the two car lines along Siwanoy Blvd. A monitor will coordinate merging to one pick up line. Cars will merge from each side at the same pace.
- Student dismissal will begin at 3:00.
- Students will be brought to your car by school personnel. DO NOT EXIT YOUR VEHICLE EXCEPT TO ASSIST YOUR CHILD ENTERING YOUR VEHICLE.
- Cars will exit the pick up line in waves that will be controlled by security monitors and crossing guards.
- ANY CAR PICKING UP MUST HAVE THE TUFSD PARENT PICK UP TAG HANGING FROM THE CENTER REARVIEW MIRROR ALONG WITH NAME PLATE ON DASHBOARD CLEARLY VISIBLE IN ORDER TO PICK UP YOUR CHILD.
- Each WEC family has received two Parent Pick Up Tags and two Nameplates. NOTE: Pick Up Tags are one time issued. There will be a fee for replacement.
- Any car that does not have both the Pick Up Tag and Name Plate will NOT be permitted to pick up in the car line. Those cars will need to exit the car line and park on a side street, and drivers must then go to the security desk and sign your child out.
- CAR PICK UP (NEW PROCEDURE!)
For more information on traffic and school bus safety, please click here.
All TASC children will be escorted to the cafeteria where they will be greeted by the TASC staff. Attendance is taken and the students are then walked to the TASC room.
Pick-up for TASC is through the rear parking lot.